!Let's Talk! Button

Holiday Hazards for Pets
December 15, 2020

Happy Holiday s! It’s probably safe to say that many of our furry patients will spend the next few weeks watching their humans cook, clean, and decorate for their seasonal celebrations. This can be a dangerous time of year for pets! Read on as a local Louisville, KY vet lists some common hazards for pet owners to be aware of.


Food

Food is a huge hazard here. Pets definitely deserve a special treat, but stick to things you know are safe. Never give your four-legged pal anything that contains garlic, onions, scallions, or chives; grapes, currants, and raisins; avocados; chocolate; caffeine; xylitol; or high amounts of salt, sugar, or fat. Meat on the bone is another no-no, as are dairy products. Ask your vet for more information.


Fires

A crackling fire may be the perfect finishing touch to your holiday scene, but it’s a huge danger for pet. Keep thick grates before fireplaces. You’ll also want to be careful with candles, space heaters, and potpourri burners. Put these in spots your pet can’t reach.


Trees

Keep your pet in mind if you put up a tree. If you get a real tree, the water can be a concern, as it could contain trace amounts of things like pesticides and fertilizers.


Stress

Pets are very much crea  tures of habit, and they can get very anxious over changes to their environment or routine. Decorations, travel, loud noises, guests, and just general commotion can all upset your furry friend. Pay extra attention to your pet! If you’re having a party, put your pet in a quiet back room, and let them sleep through the festivities.


Decorations

Pets are very playful, and they often try to investigate things by eating them. This can definitely get a frisky furball into trouble! Anything small or sharp is a huge concern. This includes things like ornament hooks, pine needles, and Frosty’s buttons. You’ll also want to be careful of wires, ribbons, cords, tinsel, lights, and garlands, which are all choking and entangling hazards.


Plants

Did you know that holly, ivy, and mistletoe are all toxic to pets? Poinsettia, yew, and pine are also unsafe. If you use real plants, keep them well out of paws’ reach.


Happy Holidays! Please do not hesitate to reach out if ever we can be of assistance. As your local Louisville, KY veterinary clinic, we are here to help!

  • All
  • Uncategorized